top of page
  • How do I register?
    Available face to face classes are posted HERE. We do not provide a waitlist, if there is not a class currently posted that the student can attend, we recommend subscribing to the website to receive emails when new classes are scheduled. Classes are offered every 2-3 months at the high schools. Online courses are offered through
  • When can my student enroll in Driver's Ed?
    To enroll in Driver Education, the student must have completed the 8th grade and be at least 14½ years old on the first day of the bookwork class. In order to attain a learner's permit at the Department of Motor Vehicles, the student must complete thirty (30) hours of classroom lessons and six (6) hours of behind-the-wheel instruction. The grade restriction is due to the fact we only receive funding for 9th graders. So they can take drivers ed, but they would have to pay for the driving portion which is $250.
  • How does drivers ed work in NC?
    You can find details on the entire process HERE
  • How much does drivers ed cost?
    The class fee is $65. In the following counties, that fee includes the driving portion for students in the 9th grade or higher enrolled in a NC school in the following counties: Asheville City, Buncombe, Henderson, Madison, Mitchell, Polk, Rutherford, Transylvania, and Yancey. **Please note, due to the fact that we receive funding from NC for students enrolled in NC schools, but receive no funding for other states/private/online schools (Penn Foster, Acellus etc.), the fee for the driving portion will be $250. Once the student has completed the course, and the Restricted instruction permit (covered in course orientation) is received, you will receive an email with payment options. You may also utilize any commercial driving school, a list is available HERE
  • Where can I find the Restricted Instruction Permit?
    This form is how the students are added to the list to complete the driving portion after the class. Eye exams are completed in class for face to face classes. For online classes, the online instructor will send you the scheduled date for your course. Students that miss the scheduled eye exam or who are issued a DL77 form to have their vision checked by a medical professional during the initial screening will need to have the form signed by the instructor and return both. Print form and locate eye exams - Complete the form in BLUE or BLACK ink. Fill out students information above the line "NC Division of Motor Vehicles Use Only" You must have an eye exam from DMV School Bus and Traffic Safety, optometrist exams are not valid Once you have your vision tested, mail the RIP to Mountain Professionals. Once the class is completed and we have received and processed your form, you will receive a confirmation email. Please list which class/session you were in Instructors will call the number listed on the form when it is the students turn to drive. Please make sure you list a number that will be answered. The section below "RECORD OF LESSONS IN THE CAR" is filled out by the driving instructor. Once the instructor receives the restricted permit, you will be scheduled to drive by birth order, oldest first. Typically, you will receive a call from an instructor within 60-150 days after receipt of the RIP, depending on your age and the number of students in your district. This may take longer for younger students.
  • When will my student drive?
    Once the RIP form has been received and processed, you will receive a confirmation email. Typical time frame is 30-120 days. More information is available at If it has been close to 150 days you may inquire by submitting an email to and including the students name.
  • What if I choose a private school for the driving portion?
    You will need to email a request for a 611 form to You MUST include the students name as it appears on the birth certificate, valid mailing address to send the form, and the name of the school you will be using. Once issued, the student will be removed from the MPI list. List of schools can be found on the NCDTSEA website
  • After completing driver's ed, how do we get a permit?"
    The NCDMV collects a $21.50 fee to issue a learners permit. A parent or guardian must sign the application for a permit. The student must pass the NCDMV written test and successfully identify a group of road signs. You can download a copy of the NC Drivers Handbook HERE. Practice exams can be found HERE The student will also have his/her vision rechecked at this time. The student must present the following forms to the DMV in order to obtain a permit: Driver Education Completion Certificate (Form 452) Driver Eligibility Certificate (Issued by the high school to verify attendance and grades) Certified or original copy of Birth Certificate (More info on acceptable documents can be found on the site Social Security Card 1. The driving instructor will issue a Driver Education Certificate (Form 452) on the student’s final day of behind-the-wheel training. This completion certificate is stamped with the school seal and provides valid proof that the student has completed the state requirements for Driver Education in North Carolina. The issuing of Form 452 concludes Mountain Professionals' student instruction, although we will be happy to assist you with any questions you may have. 2. It is then the responsibility of the parent to obtain a Driver Eligibility Certificate from the school the student attends, not the instructor. It verifies that the student is currently enrolled and meeting the attendance requirements and grade standards of the NC Adequate Progress Law. This certificate is good for 30 days and may be obtained through the school student services (guidance) department or high school principal. 3. The student must also have a certified or original copy of his/her birth certificate and a Social Security card
  • How long are students required to hold a level 1 permit?
    Effective Jan. 1, 2024, the requirement will be that students have held a permit for 9 months, completed a 60 hour log, and are at least 16 years old, may apply for a permit. What to take to DMV to get a permit:
  • How do I get a Drivers Eligibility Certificate for a homeschool or out of state student?
    Home school parents can request a certificate from the NCDNPE If the students attends a home or private school outside of NC, they must request a transcript from that school's administration department. At the high school in the area the student resides in, submit the transcript and proof of current enrollment to get a DEC. NOTE** The driver's ed instructors cannot issue the DEC, parents must obtain from the high school. Please contact the NCDMV with questions regarding the DEC. Students that attend out of state online based or boarding schools may obtain a DEC by taking a current transcript to their local high school.
bottom of page